Book a hiking trip at Black River Gorges
- Hike distance and elevation: 6 km, 350m of elevation
- Availability of hike: Monday – Wednesday – Friday
- Required: Appropriate hiking shoes, backpack & water
- Payment methods: Pay-online in advance with your credit card. Existing clients can arrange to pay cash in MUR, EUR or USD with the driver.
HIKING AT BLACK RIVER GORGES: 3.5 HRS HIKE
The Black River Gorges National Park, 67.54 km² of pure, wild, nature. The heart of Mauritius island, home of many endemic species !
It offers a great discovery of the nature of the island. The trails leads us to many different viewpoints where we enjoy a few breaks contemplating the different parts of the park and its surroundings. At 400m above sea level, we start our back back down to finally be reaching the river where we can enjoy a nice swim before heading back to the starting point, where we’ve met a few hours earlier.
Halfway through our ascent, we will discover the “Mare aux Joncs Gorge” which we call the “Valley of the Bats” due to the thousands of Mauritius Bats that we can observe there. At the top of our ascent, 400 m above sea level, we have an amazing view of the west coast, its lagoons and beautiful villages and mountains. From there, we begin to retreat to the Black River where we can stop to enjoy a good bath before continuing and return to our starting point, where we have met a few hours before.
The meeting point is at Riverview Commercial Center in Black River (facing “La Balise Marina” / “Trois Bras Store”) at 07:50 am sharp.
- Tour-guide by professional Mountain Guides (EFR/WFA Certified)
- Extra water
- Secure Parking
The hike is accessible to anyone in good health. Not suitable for children under 10 yrs old.
All year long
The hike begins at 7:50AM on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
TRANSPORT TO TAMARIND FALLS HIKE:
We provide affordable transport services from any hotel/residence in Mauritius to the hike’s meeting point & back in the afternoon. Click here to see transport rates.
Our hiking partner has been the pioneers in the hiking and trekking tourism industry in Mauritius since January 2004. They have also introduced Trail-Running on the island, and created a league of many events that hosts today, between 400 to 2000 hikers and runners every month.
Before all, we are friends and passionate mountain lovers. Our will to bring people on discovery excursions in the wilderness of our beloved island is our ultimate mission, the reason for why we wake up every morning.
Hiking and Trekking in mountains and outdoors environment involves risks. Our guides are experienced and qualified to offer a professional and well framed service.
Our team are all professional and certified mountain guides, and Emergency First Responders. (EFR/WFA Certified)
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE (@ 45 € /person):
- Guided half-day Tour – 4 to 5 hours guided hike by professional Mountain Guides (EFR/WFA Certified)
- Refreshment served – Our guides will happily serve some refreshment during the hike.
- Secure Parking – Leave your car on a secure parking or choose to go with us (Transport offered as a supplement)
Hiking at Black River Gorges PACKAGE
HIKING PRICE PER PARTICIPANT (excluding transport):
- EUR 45 per participant (MUR 1900)
* This hike is not suitable for children under 10 years old.
Important if you’re going on your own:
- Google Map directions to the meeting point can be found here.
- Please reach the meeting point at least 15minutes before.
- Please don’t drink & drive!
Optional: Transport Service
We provide professional & reliable chauffeur services from any location in Mauritius to the Riverview Commercial Centre in Black River Village (Meeting Point) & back in the afternoon.
Please note: transport prices below are per group, not per person.
Submit your review
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I pay for my tour?
(1) Existing clients can pay cash to the driver in MUR, EUR or USD or Pay-Online in EUR prior to the tour. The payment link can be found in your booking voucher (near the amount).
If I need a tour within the next 12 hours, can I book it online?
If you require a tour within the next 24 hours, we highly recommend you to speak to someone at Taxi Service Mauritius either by Phone/Email/Chat or WhatsApp. Do not book it online. Note that we cannot confirm bookings out of office hours.
Will I have to share the vehicle with others who are not in my party?
We only do private tours. When you reserve a vehicle via our company, no matter whether it is a 3 passenger car, 8 passenger minivan or 20 passenger minibus, the vehicle is exclusively yours for the whole journey.
Where will the driver meet me?
Your driver will wait for you at your hotel reception on-time. If you are staying in an apartment of villa, please provide a contact number so that the driver can give you a call when he reach your accommodation.
What if do not find the driver?
In rare cases, customers may take some minutes to locate their driver. Our customers receive their driver’s contact details by email one day before the tour. Customers call liaise with the driver directly or simply our office or hotline so that our personnel can assist you & liaise with the driver.
Are the vehicles fully licensed and insured?
All supplied vehicles are fully licensed by the local authorities and carry an up to date Public service transport license. Be careful of bogus airport transfer advertisers as there are a number openly operating in Mauritius without licenses and liability insurance.
Can i order a baby seat or booster seat?
You can order child seats and booster seats on the online booking form. The first child seat is free of charge. Any additional child seat requested will be charged at EUR10 per day. You can also bring your own baby/toddler seat if you would like to do so.
Terms & Conditions
- All bookings are subject to availability & should be booked at least 24 hours in advance.
- This tour is not suitable for children below 10 years old.
- Transport not included in the price of EUR 45.
- Full refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least 48 hours prior to the activity.
- Bad weather: Hikes will not be allowed to operate in case the local authorities issue a bad weather warning such as torrential rainfalls. Choose to re-schedule the tour for another day or receive a full refund in case of such warnings.
- COVID19 may affect availability & the serving of refreshments for this tour.
All bookings are subject to availability & should be booked at least 24 hrs in advance.
Carefully hand-picked tour packages
Use the filters to refine your search