Experience History: Hiking at Le Morne Brabant
Are you an adrenaline junkie with a penchant for spectacular views and rich history? If so, then hiking at Le Morne Brabant in Mauritius is an experience tailor-made for you. This remarkable mountain, located on the southwestern peninsula of Mauritius, offers not only a challenging hike but also an immersive journey into the island’s poignant past. From the iconic metal cross at its summit to the panoramic views of the Mauritian landscape, every step of this adventure will leave you enthralled.
PRICE FOR Hiking at Le Morne Brabant
This is a very demanding activity during the period of October & March each year. Please book enough time in advance to ensure availability.
Price per participant
*Transport is not included in the activity price.
Round-trip Chauffeur Services to the meeting point at Le Morne Brabant Mountain
We provide safe & reliable chauffeur services from any location in Mauritius to the meeting point & back in the afternoon.
4 people max.
7 people max.
10 people max.
14 people max.
22 people max.
Coasters / Buses
4 people max.
Le Morne Brabant: Where Stunning Views and Historical Significance Merge
|Availability:||Mornings: Monday to Sunday | Afternoons: Monday to Friday|
|Meeting Point:||In front of Paradis Beachcomber Resort ~ Get directions|
|Activity time:||6.50 AM to 9:30 AM (Winter) OR 5.50 AM to 9.30 AM (Summer)|
|Hike Duration:||3.5 hrs to 4 hrs|
|Feel free to bring:||Sports shoes, a k-way jacket in case it drizzles, sunscreen, a hat, and at least 1L of water|
|Restrictions:||This hike is accessible to anyone in good health except for children under 10 years old.|
Hiking at Le Morne Brabant in Mauritius: A Step into Nature’s Splendor
Have you ever dreamt of being a part of a mesmerizing world where natural beauty meets fascinating history? If yes, hiking at Le Morne Brabant in Mauritius is your ticket to this dream. This hike is not just about the physical activity; it’s about immersing yourself in a vibrant ecosystem, exploring the culture, and indulging in the panoramic views that will leave you spellbound.
Why Le Morne Brabant is an Unforgettable Hike
Le Morne Brabant is not your average hiking trail. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site, a beacon of history, and a natural wonder all rolled into one. Let’s dive into what makes this hike truly unforgettable:
- Rich History: Le Morne Brabant is steeped in history. It was a refuge for runaway slaves in the 18th and early 19th centuries. This mountain is a symbol of the slaves’ fight for freedom, their suffering, and their sacrifice.
- Diverse Flora and Fauna: The mountain is home to a plethora of endemic species. As you hike up, you’ll encounter a variety of unique plants and animals that are exclusive to Mauritius.
- Spectacular Views: The breath-taking views from the summit are worth every step. The panoramic vistas of the Indian Ocean and the surrounding lagoons are simply out of this world.
The Hiking Trail Le Morne: What to Expect
The hike to the summit of Le Morne Brabant can be divided into two parts. The first part is a fairly easy walk up to the midway point, but the second half can be quite challenging as the trail becomes steeper and more rugged. But don’t worry, the unparalleled views from the top make the journey worth every bit of effort.
Essential Gear for the Hike
While embarking on the hike at Le Morne Brabant, it’s essential to be well-prepared. Here’s what you should consider packing:
- Comfortable Hiking Shoes: The trail can be rough and steep in some parts, so it’s critical to have sturdy and comfortable footwear.
- Water and Snacks: The hike can take around 3-4 hours, so it’s important to stay hydrated and keep your energy levels up.
- Sun Protection: The sun can be quite intense on the trail, so don’t forget your hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses.
- Guided half-day Tour – 3 to 4 hours guided hike by professional Mountain Guides (EFR/WFA Certified)
- Refreshment served – Our guides will happily serve some refreshment during the hike.
- Secure Parking – Leave your car on a secure parking or choose to go with us (Transport offered as a supplement)
What to bring
- Sports shoes
- Jacket in case it drizzles
- A hat
The Historical Significance of Le Morne Brabant
Le Morne Brabant doesn’t just offer a physical adventure, it also transports visitors through a poignant journey into Mauritius’ past. This majestic basaltic mountain was once a safe haven for escaped slaves, who found refuge in its rugged terrain and formed small communities on its summit. This historical connection to slavery and the struggle for freedom has led to the mountain being recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2008, a testament to its enduring significance in Mauritian history and culture.
On February 1, 1835, a deeply tragic event marked the mountain’s history. On this day, the authorities climbed the mountain, intending to inform the escaped slaves about their freedom. However, due to a deep-rooted mistrust in the authorities, many slaves chose to leap from the mountain rather than return to their previous lives. This tragic event has forever marked Le Morne Brabant as a symbol of the fight for freedom and the tragic cost of slavery. Today, a symbolic steel cross stands at the summit, a solemn remembrance of the lives lost and a beacon of hope that resonates with the mountain’s historical significance.
The SLAVE Route: An Overview
The hike begins at the base of Le Morne Mountain and covers a distance of 6km in total, with the summit at an elevation of 490m. The trail starts with a fairly easy stretch for the first 2.5-3km, followed by a more challenging section that involves scrambling and climbing up the cliff face. The last section can be nerve-wracking but is definitely achievable for those with a decent level of fitness and experience with hiking. A seasoned guide could be a great help, especially for those new to hiking or those with a fear of heights.
The Reward: Stunning Panoramic Views
Is the challenge of hiking at Le Morne Brabant worth it? Absolutely! Once you reach the summit, you’re greeted with breathtaking 360-degree views of Le Morne beaches, the surrounding forest, and mountains. It is also the best vantage point (aside from a helicopter) to view Mauritius’ famous underwater waterfall.
What is Le Morne Heritage Trust Fund?
On January 24th, 2006, Le Morne was declared a National Heritage due to its increasing significance on a national scale and its connection to a shared sense of identity. This location is heavily safeguarded by the National Heritage Fund Act of 2003 and the Le Morne Heritage Trust Fund Act of 2004. With the latter Act, the Le Morne Heritage Trust Fund was created on May 28th, 2004. Operating under the Ministry of Arts and Culture, its mission includes:
- Elevating Le Morne’s status as a memorial site of national, regional, and international significance.
- Conserving and enhancing the historical, cultural, environmental, and ecological facets of Le Morne.
- Establishing a museum to raise public consciousness about the history of Le Morne.
- Facilitating research and backing projects and publications pertaining to slavery and marronage.
- Collecting, publishing, and distributing information related to the history of slavery and marronage.
- Forging connections with suitable international organizations in accordance with the goals of the Act.
- All bookings are subject to availability & should be booked at least 24 hours in advance.
- This tour is not suitable for children below 10 years old.
- Transport not included in the activity price of EUR 52.
- Full refunds will be issued for cancellations made at least 24 hours prior to the activity.
- Bad weather (Tour Supplier’s discretion): Hikes will not be allowed to operate in case the local authorities issue a bad weather warning such as torrential rainfalls. Choose to re-schedule the tour for the another day or receive a full refund in case of such warnings.
- A refreshment will be served by the guides (Water, Juice, Biscuits or Sandwich)
Submit your review
Very nice trip. Starting in the early hours is recommended. Burning hot sun and the sometimes difficult ascent are not a good combination. You should be a bit sporty to get to the top without any problems. Better to have 2 liters of water with you. Many thanks to the guide Kevin.
I found taxi service Mauritius whilst already halfway through our holiday and we booked the Le morne hiking trip and our return airport transfer through them. They are a great, professional company with loads of options on how to get the most out of your visit to Mauritius. Great value for money too. Special thanks to our hiking guide We learnt so much about the flora, fauna, culture and industry of Mauritius from him.
We booked the hike at le Morne and we enjoyed it.The hike becomes steeper as you go so you must be fit and bring lots of water with you! The hike is divided in two parts: first is public, but the second part is more for experienced climbers. Really nice hiking experience. The view was spectacular. Thank you Devina for helping us through the booking process.
Contacted taxi service Mauritius for the le morne hiking since we had to be there early morning and our driver was at the hotel 15 minutes earlier waiting for us but it is well worth it to get the view and the sunrise in the morning. The climb is achievable for a fairly fit person you might struggle with the heat hence why you go early morning. The guides are very helpful. Tips : bring mosquito repellant, a bottle of water and your camera is a must.
Awesome adventure. Would definitely recommend this tour if you enjoy hiking and an excellent view as a reward. Good fitness required with an early start. We would definitely do another hike with them when coming back to the island hopefully next year! Thanks to Devina who was very informative & responsive by email. Drivers are just professionals.
Yes, it is generally safe to hike at Le Morne Brabant. However, it's always a good idea to stay on the marked trails, be aware of your surroundings, and avoid hiking in adverse weather conditions. The mountain is open for hiking from 6am to 4pm The best time to hike is early morning on a dry, calm day. Generally during summer from October to March. The duration of the hike can vary between 3.5 to 4 hours, depending on fitness levels and the number of stops.
Is it safe to hike at Le Morne Brabant?
What are the opening hours for hiking at Le Morne Brabant?
What is the best time to hike at Le Morne Brabant?
How long does it take to hike at Le Morne Brabant?
Yes, it is generally safe to hike at Le Morne Brabant. However, it's always a good idea to stay on the marked trails, be aware of your surroundings, and avoid hiking in adverse weather conditions.
The mountain is open for hiking from 6am to 4pm
The best time to hike is early morning on a dry, calm day. Generally during summer from October to March.
The duration of the hike can vary between 3.5 to 4 hours, depending on fitness levels and the number of stops.